Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)

The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for people who want to become permanent residents of Canada based on being qualified in a skilled trade. This program is part of the Express Entry system. Applications take approximately 6 months to process after receiving an Invitation to Apply (ITA) and filing an application for permanent residence.

Federal Skilled Trades Class Program Requirements

  • Meet the minimum language requirement of CLB 4 in reading and writing, and CLB 5 in speaking and listening.

  • Have at least 2 years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the 5 years before you apply.

  • Meet the job requirements for your skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC).

  • Have a valid job offer of full-time employment for at least one year (with LMIA) or a Certificate of Qualification in your skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority.

Express Entry

Applicants to the Federal Skilled Trades Program must apply through Express Entry. This involves setting up an online profile with Immigration Canada. Applicants will then be ranked against other applicants in a pool.  On a regular basis, Immigration Canada will draw top candidates from the pool and send them an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence. Only those who get an Invitation to Apply from Immigration Canada will be able to apply. You will then have 60 days to submit a full application.

Under Express Entry most complete applications will be processed in six months or less.

Eligible Occupations

Skilled Trades currently eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under the following groups, and include a total of 90 occupations:

  • Industrial, electrical and construction trades.

  • Maintenance and equipment operation trades.

  • Supervisors and technical occupations in natural resources, agriculture and related production.

  • Processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators.

  • Chefs and Cooks.

  • Butchers and Bakers.

Certificate of Qualification

Trade certification in Canada falls under provincial jurisdiction. Each province outlines which professions will be regulated and establishes regulatory bodies where applicable. Provincial certification is often difficult to obtain from outside Canada and accordingly this program will be most beneficial to tradespeople who obtain an approved offer of employment from a recognized buy alprazolam no prescription employer, or who are already working in Canada as temporary foreign workers. Not all trades are regulated in all provinces. Where a trade is not regulated, an offer of employment becomes mandatory.

If your trade is not regulated by a province or territory (for example, airplane mechanic), it may be federally regulated. You can find out who regulates your trade by visiting The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials website.

Offer of Employment

Tradespeople who obtain an approved offer of employment for one year or more in their trade from a Canadian employer are also eligible to apply. The offer of employment will be evaluated to ensure that it is an eligible trade and that the hiring will have a neutral effect on the Canadian Labour Market.

Language Test and Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)

If you meet all of the requirements of the Federal Skilled Trades Program, your first step after obtaining your Certificate of Qualification or Offer of Employment should be to undergo an official English and/or French Language Test, and to have your foreign education evaluated against Canadian standards (Canadian education does not need to be evaluated). Your spouse or common-law partner should also have their education evaluated and language assessed in order to increase your points.

Approved Language Tests:

You can take any of these approved language tests:

  • English (only the general version is accepted)

  • French

Approved ECA Organizations:

You must use one of these designated organizations:

Check Your Eligibility

If you would like to know if you are eligible to apply for immigration to Canada through Express Entry, you may complete our free Online Eligibility Questionnaire.